Completed Projects | Medieval Hall | Withey's Yard | Cainscross Toll House | Arundel Mill House | Anti-Slavery Arch | Brunel Goods Shed Phase 1 | Brunel Goods Shed Phase 2 | HLF Community Action | SWAPT Heritage Fair | Plaques
The Cainscross Toll House and 1 Bridge Street were purchased in August 1987 from the Gloucester and Severnside Co-operative Society after lengthy negotiations. The Toll House dates from around 1825 when the new Cainscross – Stroud Road was constructed. It was depiked in 1877 and sold to a local innkeeper for £130. It replaced a previous Toll House on the same site which collected tolls from a road going from Cirencester to the River Severn, via Minchinhampton, Rodborough, Randwick and Painswick which had been destroyed during fierce anti-Toll riots in 1734. An interesting neo-Gothic Grade II listed building, it had lost its crenellations from above the front bay window and was in an extremely poor state of repair. The Trust worked with Stroud District Council to try to find a solution and were eventually able to buy the property.
The Trust, again working with Feilden Clegg Design, restored the ashlar frontage to a high standard and converted the Toll House and its extensions into three two bedroomed houses. A watercolour in Stroud Museum by Paul Smith of 1903 gave some evidence about the appearance of the building before it fell into disrepair. Shortly after the project was completed the new Ebley bypass was built relieving the Cainscross area from some of the traffic coming in from the M5. The newly restored Toll House gave fresh hope to the area and soon after the project was completed the nearby old Co-operative building was also renovated.